I finally arrived Wednesday June 18th. My warm pool of water broke around 4:30pm on Wednesday. Mum phoned Dad and told him t0 meet her at the hospital. Contractions started right away but ok until 5:15 when they started to get hard and Brad and Leah arrived at the hospital. Leah checked and mum was 4 cm dilated so Mum decided to go in the shower to help deal with the contractions. While in there they got really strong and took Mum by surprise, she thought they would be more like cramps she didn't know what she wanted, back pressure, sit, stand, barf? She was very worried and had no idea how long this would go on for. She asked Leah for drugs and Leah said she should wait until she was closer to 6cm. Mum got out of the shower and they checked and she was 9cm dilated already, it had only been an hour, too late for drugs!!(Damn!) A couple of contractions later and Mum started to push, and holly cow she screamed at the top of her lungs. I feel sorry for the other people in the hospital. Once she knew how to push me out I came out quickly at 6:49 pm, Mum was surprised she thought the earlier contractions were worse than when I came out. That was when everyone found out I was a boy and my name would be Callum. Dad was really quiet during my arrival which was probably for the best I don't think Mum would have wanted to listen to anything he said. Mum was feeling great, I didn't cause her to have any stitches. Dad cut the cord and then took me to meet Nanna and Grandpa Proud.
That's when things started to go down hill for Mum. Leah was waiting for the placenta to come out but it wouldn't. They tried all sorts of thing but it wouldn't come out, lots of bloods clots were coming out. Leah had to phone doctor who came and he tried to get it out. This was very painful for Mum and when they started to talk about getting an operating room ready she was very worried, but Dr. Poew finally got it out. Mum was taken to another room where I finally got my first meal. I was very happy but Mum was having some major bleeding that wouldn't stop. The doctors in Creston decided she should go to Nelson a bigger hospital with an obstetrician. Mum was loaded into an ambulance with Leah and I was with Dad who was supposed to follow in our jeep. Dad was a little anxious, here he was with a six hour old baby and he has to drive for an hour and a half in the middle of the night with me by himself. I gave him a break and slept the whole way there. Mum was pretty out of it they had given her lots of drugs and she had lost lots of blood, luckily though by the time they arrived it had slowed and she didn't need have an operation. We stayed in Nelson for two days. I am a little lazy and don't like to work too hard for food so Mum has been pumping some and giving me a bottle, she hopes that when her milk comes in and it is easier for me to eat she won't need to. Mum in doing ok her blood level is very low still so she feels very weak and can only move around so much at a time so she doesn't pass out. My favourite thing to do is sleep on Dad. Anyways, I have food to drink, and poop to poop so I need to go, keep checking back to see how things are going.
Callum Thomas Ziefflie
(AKA Kokanee Baby)


4 comments:
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!
We are all so excited for you!!!!! Thanks for putting up the pictures so quickly so we can all see how absolutely adorable he is!!!!!
Wish we could come up .... keep on posting and putting up pictures so we can keep up ....
Kathy and Derek
in pic number 5 their is a baby holding a baby
Holy crap! I didn't know you had to go through so much! Your Mom did NOT mention all that!
I'm glad you're ok now.
Can't wait to see you guys!
Every time I think to call you I think it's too late. How late is too late for you?
congratulations! What a beautiful baby-
Aroon w
Post a Comment